Welcome to the Chaos

You have stumbled upon the new blog (i.e. random babblings) of a quirky single mom. A shoot-from-the-hip, anti-pink (yet almost gaggingly perky), non-traditional, can cuss like a sailor but loves insanely and has the save the world syndrome gal who is bracing for a future as a Crazy Cat Lady though she secretly hopes like hell it doesn't come true. Enjoy your stay and feel free to say hi- I don't bite. Well, unless we're dating and you are into that type of thing or you contain peanut butter. >;-)

About Me

My photo
Quirky single mom of two monkeys. I used to beat up the kids that picked on the "special students" during recess. Now I work with those with chronic mental illness. I speak quite a few languages, enjoy coed naked underwater basket weaving, have an addiction to Sushi and humor is my defense mechanism. Arrogant people make my right eye twitch. I'm ambidextrously brained, I will knit for tattoos, I am the friend that everyone comes to for advice and bail money. I pride myself on keeping my eyes, ears, heart and mind open. Making me laugh goes a long way with me, I think the brain is the sexiest organ and I'm the kinda gal you can take anywhere and I'll have a good time. Other than that, I'm just me.

Followers

Lil Geek Girls FTW!



For as long as I can remember, I have been a Star Wars fan. I'd get pissed because I'd tear open my gifts and instead of an At-At or the Millennium Falcon, I'd get a freakin' Monchichi or Strawberry Shortcake's latest sidekick. Some solace was taken in the fact that I was the only girl that ever got to play Leia at recess. Part of that was probably the fact that I was the only one that could do the buns, but I didn't care. I remember tearing ass down the isle to front row center when we went to see Return of the Jedi. While I may have lost my Star Wars sheet set along the way, I still have some of my trading cards left and my trust, rusty Return of the Jedi lunchbox still faithfully holds some of my art supplies. And, of course, I own the DVD box sets.

One cold, rainy Saturday morning (i.e. perfect couch and movie day) a couple of months after she turned 3, my eldest monkey figured out how to open the secret door of the entertainment stand and handed me "Phantom Menace." "Mommy, this is my movie choice. I wanna watch this one." The pride, oh the pride. I patted her head, told her it would be too scary and too hard for her to understand and insisted she pick a new one. Bless her gorgeously geeky heart, she stood firm on her choice. Her arguments in the end were simple. "If I don't understand something, I'll ask you mommy and if it gets too scary, we can turn it off." Hells bells, you can't really argue with logic like that.

Ten minutes later, another fan was born. Two more actually. Lilest monkey sat in wide-eyed wonderment cheering and booing right along with her. But, edlest took it to a whole new level. The rest of that weekend was spent watching all six in order up to her new beloved Anakin was "saved." It floored me how little I needed to explain to her. There are so many favorite moments from that weekend. I think my favorite was when Luke made it out with Vader and she looked at me and said "Wow, he actually managed to pull it off." Not remembering at this point I was talking to my 3 year old and being mother of the year- my response? "Right? He's such a wuss." Sorry folks, I was a Han Solo girl all the way.

Most of my friends weren't entirely surprised at my lil "how I spent my weekend." I swear everyone we encountered over the next few months heard her tales of the battle of dark and light, the path of a Jedi, the power of the force, the wisdom of Obi Wan and Yoda, her undying love for Anakin and the importance of having really good friends be they human, wookie, droid or otherwise. Then one of my friends sent me a now rather famous YouTube clip of a 3 year old explaining Star Wars. I watched it and giggled. It didn't really occur to me the vast differences between that 3 year old and mine. VAST.

Thinking she'd be happy to find a kindred spirit, I showed her this.

I expected a giggle. I did NOT expect her to lose her lil mind. She seriously damn near cussed that lil girl out! It went a lil like this:

(Bear in mind, I did warn her it was only about New Hope aka "When they save Leia"- Ooops! I forgot to mention she renamed them all. I'll footnote the rest.)

"What? The 'sand people' are Jawas and they aren't that important."
"'Shiny one?' 'Shiny one?' It's C3PO. Duh."
(At this point I am blankly staring at my irate lil monkey. Head all cocked to the side-like.)
*HUGE GASP* "NO ONE MISPRONOUNCES OBI WAN KANOBI'S NAME! NO ONE MOMMY!!!"
In the backgound the lilest monkey then yells "That's RIDICULOUS!!" (WHAA??)
"Huh? That 'light up sword' is a light saber! Light SABER!"
"Leia wasn't in jail, she was being held capitve by Imperial Forces."
"That's it?! That's it?! What about the subplot?! (WTF!?!? Did she really just say subplot??!?) No Han? No Chewy? MMMMOOOOOOMM!!!"
"Yeah, Darth will getchya because you, you are NO JEDI!!" (Yes, she was totally pointing here lil finger at her too.)
"Mommy, please don't EVER show me that girl again."
And in the background her lil cohort was yelling "Yeah, she's ridiculous!"

That's when it became clear to me that she wasn't your average 3 1/2 year old. It also became clear I was raising a lil ÜberGeekGirlie in training. That, in my book, is just awesomesauce.

Yup, she's still planning on marrying Anakin, is practicing her use of the force and is desperately trying to plead her case to her sister for decorating their new bathroom all Star Wars. My money is on her. Lil geek girls FTW!

***As promised, she renamed them all right away to remember them better. Never mind the fact she could tell you who Qui Gon Jinn was. So, in order:

"When Anakin was lilttle"
"When Anakin became a Jedi"
"When Anakin caught on fire"
"When they save Leia"
"When Luke becomes a Jedi"
"When Luke saves Anakin"


And now these girls are helping their mommy to create a place for them, for all of us to hang, to play, to proudly wave our lil geek flags.

Click here to learn how you can help this dream become a reality for all of us and for future lil geek girls everywhere.


Lilest proudly displaying our Star Wars Cookie Cutters

4 comments:

MariaBeingFrank said...

One word. Awesome. Without a doubt best blog I've seen or read. Great background. And your writing Is amazing :)

Hemp Bath Blog said...

OMG. This is possibly the best blog post I have ever read. EVER. My little boy just turned five last week and he LOVES StarWars...to the point that he can not STAND the "baby" SW toys that are now out. Awhile back he sat and watched videos on how to build an accurate light saber! He has no patience for fake crappy toys. He wants movie props! The real thing!

He started kindergarten this week and was very irate that nobody knew who Han Solo was on his shirt....

"I am not wearing Sponge Bob mom. These kids don't eve know what a Star Destroyer is!"

I seriously think SW is going to save our youth. Hands down. :)

NUISHU said...

wow, love the look of your blog! and what you write aswell :)

JessyPants said...

This is brilliant. I hope my kids are as cool as yours!

Post a Comment